How to Use Okra as Anti-Aging Face Mask, Moisturizer and Hair Gel
Okra is have high levels of vitamin A, C, and other antioxidants, which makes it a helpful alternative option for reducing wrinkles, as moisturizer and in reducing skin irritations, according to Lana Pinchasov, RPA-C, physician assistant at Schweiger Dermatology Group in New York City.
Remember that these skin benefits are based on general knowledge of what various vitamins and antioxidants do for your skin, and not on evidence that okra itself directly improves your skin. That said, there is no arguing that okra is a healthy vegetable that is worth trying. Both in your meals and on your face.
Beauty Uses of Okra:
1. Okra as Anti-Aging Face Pack
1. Slice 6 fresh okras horizontally.
2. Boil in 1 cup water for 10 minutes, until soft.
3. Strain and add the boiled okra to a small blender. Do not discard the water, you can use it to make a DIY hair gel.
4. Add 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil and 4 tsp of thick greek yogurt into the blender. Blend for a few seconds until smooth.
5. Place the okra face mixture in a sealable jar, then store in the refrigerator and use within 1 week.
6. Apply on your clean neck and face, avoiding the eyes.
7. After 15 minutes, rinse off using water. Your skin will feel and look youthful!
2. Okra as Face Moisturizer
2 cups Chopped okra
Jojoba oil or your favorite carrier oil (optional)
1. Boil 2 cups in 2 cups of water for approximately 15 minutes.
2. Remove the okra from the heat, and steep for 10 minutes.
3. Place the contents in an airtight jar, seal it, and allow to steep overnight.
4. In the morning, you will have a jar of slimy stuff, just place the slime into a separate container. This slimy mucilage can be a good recipe for homemade Hair conditioner.
5. With the leftover okra pods, put them in the blender, or you can just mash them if blender is not available, with 1/4 cup water.
6. Make them into a mask that can be applied to your face for about 15-20 minutes.
3. Okra as Hair Gel
Did you know that the slime in okra is perfect for making your own DIY hair gel? Here’s what you have to do:
1. Slice horizontally and remove as many seeds as possible from 6 okras.
2. Boil 1.5 cups of water in a pot.
3. Upon boiling, reduce the heat, then add the okra, and simmer for at least 10-15 minutes. If you want a thin gel, simmer for just 10 min, while for a thicker gel for 15 min.
4. Stir occasionally, remove from heat and let it cool down. Then strain using a plastic fine mesh strainer into a bowl. You can use the boiled okras for making the face mask in point 2 above!
5. Add ½ tsp vitamin E oil and 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil into the gelled water.
6. Place in a sealable jar, and stir in 5-7 drops of your favorite smelling essential oil. Use within 10 days. This mixutre will lasts longer if refrigerated.
7. Section your freshly washed and conditioned hair, then apply on your hair.
Beauty Tips 4 Her
photo credit: pixabay