Teeth whitening has become a craze not only in America. A brighter smile can help boost your self-esteem and confidence. Many people have dentists to supervise their whitening process, whether they have treatments at home or in the office. This is the wisest, and also the most efficient way to whiten teeth, but, it can also be hard on your wallet.
Good thing there are natural remedies, from ingredients you probably have at home, and they can work for you overnight.
Natural Remedies to Whiten Teeth:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains mild acids that can help in removing the yellow stains from your teeth, and also make them whiter with usage.
1/2 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
1 cup Water
- Add the water and vinegar, then mix well.
- Gargle using this water before brushing your teeth.
How Often You Should Do This:
Do this at least 2-3 times in a week in the mornings.
Apple cider vinegar contains antibacterial properties that may help whiten your teeth. But, overuse of vinegar can also erode the enamel on your teeth, therefore, limit its use to a few times per week.
2. Banana Peel
Banana peel contains minerals such as potassium and manganese that help in teeth whitening.
- Slice the banana peel into small pieces.
- Take a piece, then rub the inside of it on your teeth.
- Gently rub all over your teeth for a minute or two.
- Rinse your mouth using lukewarm water.
Do this at least once daily or every alternate day till you get whiter teeth.
3. Baking Soda and Strawberries
According to Adina Carrel, DMD, who is a private dentist at Manhattan Dental Arts in New York, an inexpensive, yet very effective to whiten teeth uses malic acid. The word acid may worry you, but this acid is made when mixing strawberries and baking soda , therefore, it is safe to use at home.
- Crush 1 large strawberry, then combine with ½ tsp.of baking soda until blended.
- Use a soft toothbrush to spread themixture evenly across your teeth.
- Leave on for at least 5 minutes, followed by brushing with regular toothpaste.
- Rinse thoroughly.
Only use this at least once per week, as Dr.Carrel cautions that using this mixture too often, could damage the enamel of your teeth.
4. Baking Soda and Toothpaste
- Make molds of your lower and upper teeth using 2 small pieces of aluminum foil.
- Mix 2 tbsp. toothpaste and 2 tbsp. baking soda.
- Place the mixture on the foil.
- Place the foil on your teeth, then apply the mixture evenly over your teeth, while also pressing the foil to fit the natural molding of your teeth.
- Leave on for about 30-60 minutes.
Clean well using your regular toothpaste. But remember not to use this more than once a week.
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is mostly known to be beneficial for hair and skin health. The lauric acid that is present in coconut oil help gets rid of the plaque-causing bacteria in the teeth. Also, it helps in keeping your breath fresh.
Organic coconut oil
- Apply some coconut oil on your teeth using your fingers. Make sure that you do not swallow it.
- Rinse with water, then follow with brushing.
Do this daily every morning.
- 5 Ways to whiten Teeth Naturally
- Effective Way to Whiten Yellow Teeth In Less Than 2 Minutes!
- How to Effectively Whiten Your Teeth Instantly!
photo credit: pixabay