Sea salt is loaded with minerals, including calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium, all of which play a key role in our skin’s function, health, and cellular communication.
If your skin’s mineral balance is off-kilter, symptoms such as dullness, dryness, irritation, and blotchiness follows, especially as colder, dryer weather sets in.
Sea salt can act as an exfoliant, as it contains antimicrobial properties, and its minerals may reduce inflammation, as per Noelle S. Sherber, M.D., dermatologist and founder of SHERBER+RAD.
Listed below are all the benefits of a salt facial which will help give you flawless and acne free skin.
1. Skin Cleansing
Salt contains major antimicrobial properties. Also, it has major absorbent properties, therefore, it helps in heavy deep cleaning.
Salt absorbs grime, dirt, and toxins, then cleanses your skin’s pores deeply. Salt’s mineral content helps in restoring the protective barrier in your skin and helps in hydration. The magnesium present in sea salt may also help in reducing water retention (such as bloating) in the body.
- Add 1/3 cup salt to a tub filled with warm water.
- Swish to dissolve the salt.
- Soak for at least 15-30 minutes.
2. Skin Moisturizer
You should not be using the salt directly on your face but adding it with something. The best is to use a product that contains salt as the base ingredients or as one of its key ingredients. Also, sea salt is a great moisturiser and is very beneficial to your skin.
- Mix a half-cup olive oil or softened coconut oil and a quarter-cup salt into a thick paste.
- You can add 10 drops of your favorite essential oil, if desired. (Remember that some oils, such as lavender, can be irritating to certain skin types, therefore, choose a scent you’ve tried before.)
- Apply in the shower using a loofah, washcloth, or the palms of your hands, scrubbing your skin in a circular motion. Salt granules can be abrasive, therefore, start with gentle scrubbing to see how your skin responds.
3. Skin Exfoliator
Like sugar, salt is a great exfoliant as well. Salt helps to get rid of dead skin cells. Also, it helps in making your skin smoother and in making your skin’s texture better.
- Combine 2 teaspoons sea salt (preferably finely ground) with 4 teaspoons raw honey to make a spreadable paste.
- Apply evenly to your clean, dry skin, while avoiding the eye area.
- Let stand for about 10-15 minutes.
- Before rinsing, soak a washcloth in very warm water, then gently wring out. Place the warm washcloth on your face for about 30 seconds.
- Use your fingers to gently exfoliate using circular motion, while rinsing your skin thoroughly with tepid water.
- Follow with your usual skin-care regimen.
- Superb Beauty Uses of Salt
- 5 Best Ancient Skincare Ingredients for Your Beauty Routine
- What are the Health Benefits of Epsom Salt Baths?
photo credit: pixabay