Stomach ulcers, or gastric or peptic ulcers, are basically open sores that are found in the stomach lining. Since there is a high amount of acid present in the stomach, the ulcers are quite painful. Stomach ulcers often occur because of H.pylori which is a type of bacteria that attacks the stomach. It is also possible that the ulcers occur due to intake of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and painkillers.
Usually stomach ulcers are treated with medications to block, neutralize, or reduce stomach acid. If you are not a huge fan of taking medicines, there is a more natural way of solving this issue.
Natural Remedies for Ulcers
- Probiotics. These are the living yeast and bacteria that help with your digestive system. Probiotics are present in various foods such as yogurt, kimchi, miso, and buttermilk. You can also take probiotics as supplements which can aid in beating back H.pylori while at the same time expedite the healing process.
- Garlic. Another natural remedy that is found to be useful in treating H.pylori is garlic extract. The same results were seen in animals and humans making this a promising solution to stomach ulcers. Unfortunately, not everyone can stand the after taste of garlic extract. Fortunately, you can get one in supplement form so there is no need to worry about the aftertaste at all. However, if you are on blood thinner medication make sure that you ask your doctor if it’s okay to take garlic supplements.
- Flavonoids. Research shows that flavonoids can be a useful treatment for ulcers in your stomach lining. This compound actually occurs in many vegetables and fruits such as legumes, kale, berries, apples, teas, soybeans, red grapes, broccoli, and red grapes just to name a few. However, there are certain types of flavonoids that can irritate the stomach lining so make sure that you choose those that agree with your stomach.
- Honey. Honey is not just used for sweetener but it can also help alleviate stomach ulcers. This is due to the fact that honey has numerous elements such as antioxidants and polyphenols that help treat ulcers. Honey is a well-known antibacterial substance which means it can help beat back H.pylori. If your blood sugar levels are normal, then you can take honey and its benefit of treating stomach ulcers.
- Cabbage. Cabbage is a type of lactic food that aids in the production of amino acid that helps stimulate the blood flow towards the lining of the stomach. This, in turn, helps strengthen the lining while at the same time, treat ulcers that have developed on the stomach walls. What’s more, cabbage contains high amounts of vitamin C which is beneficial to patients who are infected with H.pylori.
These are just a few examples of natural remedies that you can use to fight back stomach ulcers. By adding these to your daily diet, it won’t be long before your stomach ulcers disappear entirely. There are other types of food that can do wonders for your ulcer so take the time to look for them.