Getting pregnant is something that couples are looking forward to especially when they deem that they are ready to raise a family of their own. But if you are having trouble conceiving, look into your current diet first before taking any medications to increase your fertility. Sometimes, what we eat can affect our being fertile hence making some slight changes to your diet is a must.
So what food categories should make an appearance in your current diet? Here are five types that should be a must in any pre-pregnancy diet.
- High quality proteins. For couples who are trying to get pregnant, add more high quality proteins to your diet. Bump up your protein consumption to 25% or higher while reducing your carb intake up to 40% or less to increase your chances of getting pregnant. Go for whole eggs, salmon, and even white meat in poultry as these are packed with proteins that your body needs to become fertile.
- Cold water fish. Like it was mentioned before, fish like salmon, cod, and halibut are good sources of protein but aside from this, they also have high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids which play a part in reproduction and fertility. On the other hand, if you are not a big fan of fish, you can always opt for flaxseeds because they have omega-3 fatty acids as well.
- Fruits and vegetables. If your current diet is seriously lacking these two, now is the time to up your intake as they are necessary not only in terms of providing you with the essential nutrients that you need but also in terms of making you more fertile. Eating more fruits and vegetables is also a habit that you need to start especially when you’re preparing to have a baby to ensure that your baby will get the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and strong in your womb.
- Full fat dairy. Eating ice cream does have its perks especially when you’re trying to get pregnant because full fat dairy contains calcium. Calcium is essential in increasing one’s fertility apart from helping your bones become stronger. Just make sure that you limit your intake to one serving of full fat dairy per day otherwise you might see your weight go up. Getting a little meat on your bone is necessary when you become pregnant.
- Folic acid. For couples who want to get pregnant next year, now is the time to increase your intake of foods containing folic acid. Whole grains, citrus fruits, and vegetables are good sources of folic acid which is why you need to increase your intake of them.
These types of food are essential to one’s fertility. As you can see, it is possible to increase your fertility rate naturally just by changing your diet. Reducing your intake of carbohydrates while doubling your intake of healthy proteins will give you the edge you need to bear a child. And because you will be making some minor tweaks to you diet, you won’t have a hard time sustaining it.