As per Ayurveda, water that is stored in a copper vessel contains the ability to balance all 3 doshas in your body, (these are the kapha, vata, and pitta), and it does so by positively charging the water. The water that is placed in a copper vessel is called ‘tamara jal’, and is supposed to be consumed after storing the water for approximately 8 hours.
When water is placed in a copper vessel, the copper leeches gently into the water and lends its properties. The important part about regarding this water, is that it never becomes stale, and can be stored for long periods of time.
Below are the health benefits:
Health Benefits of Drinking Water from a Copper Vessel:
1. Boosts Melanin Production and Skin Health
Copper is the key component in the production of melanin, (which is a pigment that mitigates the color of your hair, eyes, and skin) in your body.
Also, copper can help in the production of new cells, that help to replenish the top most layers of your skin, therefore, leaving you with supple and smooth skin.
2. Cancer Prevention
How does copper help in preventing cancer? Copper contains strong antioxidant properties, that helps in warding free radicals, and negate their ill effects, which is one of the main reasons for cancer development.
As per the American Cancer Society, the exact mechanism on how copper can help in preventing the onset of cancer is still not known. Although some studies have reported that copper complexes have a considerable anti-cancer effect.
Did you know about these foods can increase your cancer risk?
3. Fights Arthritis and Inflamed Joints:
Copper contains very potent anti-inflammatory properties. This asset is effective in relieving pains and aches caused by inflamed joints, such as in the case of rheumatoid arthritis and arthritis.
Also, copper contains immune system and bone strengthening properties, therefore, making it the perfect remedy for rheumatoid arthritis and arthritis. This is the reason why drinking water infused with copper is an effective way to get relief from the pains and aches of these diseases.
4. Protects You from Infections
Copper is oligodynamic in nature, which means the sterilizing effect of metals on bacteria, and can destroy bacteria effectively. It is especially effective against S.aureus and E.coli, 2 bacteria that are most commonly found in your environment, and that is known to cause severe illnesses.
5. Slows Down the Ageing Process
Are worried about the appearance of fine lines? Then, copper is your natural remedy.
Copper is loaded with very strong cell forming and anti-oxidant properties, fights off free radicals, which is one of the main reasons for the formation of fine lines, and helps in the production of healthy and new skin cells, that replace the old dying ones. Both of these properties make copper an effective way to fight fine lines.
How to Buy the Right Kind of Copper Vessel:
Here is a quick guide to buying the right kind of copper vessel:
- Buy vessels that are made of pure copper. Refrain from buying ones that have other metals mixed in it. Some of the common vessels made with copper are a kalash or copper water jugs . If buying a kalash or jug is too expensive for you, you can invest in a copper glass.
- Rinse out using water the copper vessel, and pour water into the vessel, then cover it. You can use a glass or steel dish for this.
- One easy way to distinguish between an adulterated versionand pure copper, is to know that copper is a very soft metal, while pure copper is difficult to mould into intricate shapes. Therefore, if the design of your copper vessel is very complicated, it is most probably not made with pure copper.
How to Wash Copper Vessel:
Do not use a coarse scrub when washing the inside of the vessel, as this will tend to scrape away copper from the vessel. You can use 1/2 lemon (you can squeeze out the juice) and then rub it on the inside of the vessel. Leave on for a few minutes, then wash off with plain water.
Also, you could try using baking soda with water. You can use this mixture to coat the inside of the vessel, then allow it to stand for a few minutes. Lastly, rinse rinse away the excess baking soda.
Copper is not innately utilized by your body. Which is why too much of the metal can be detrimental. As per the FDA, about 12mg/day is more than sufficient for the body, to be use without causing any harm.
Therefore, do not overdo the entire exercise. Drinking water 2-3 times daily using a copper vessel is more than enough to reap its benefits.
The Health Site
1. How to Make Barley Water and Its Amazing Health Benefits
2. How to Make Okra Water for Diabetes and Lowering Cholesterol
3. Forget Lemon Water! This is the New Breakthrough Drink for Weight Loss
photo credit: pixabay