Okra is a well known vegetable, and is commonly known as “Lady Finger“. As a vegetable, okra contains many minerals and vitamins, which are essential for the body. Not just as a vegetable, but you can also get all its benefits and goodness from its juice too.
A study published in the Journal of Pharmacy and Bio-allied Sciences stated that the seeds and peel of okra plant contain anti-diabetic properties. The study showed that a solution of water with okra soaked in it helped to bring down blood sugar levels in diabetic rats. While there is no evidence to show if the solution works for people, there is no harm in giving it a try.
After all, okra with its slimy taste and texture, is a nutritious vegetable that is rich in magnesium, carbs, protein, fat, folate, fiber, and vitamins A and C. Therefore, let’s try this polarized vegetable in a new form, shall we?
Okra Water Recipe:
4-5 okra pods (medium-sized)
1 cup water
- Wash thoroughly 4-5 medium-sized okra pods.
- Cut both ends of the pods, then slice them in half. Also, you can use a knife and pierce each side of the pods.
- Take the 1 cup filled with water, then immerse the pods in it.
- Keep the pods soaked in water for at least 8 hours. Also, you can keep it soaked in water for 24 hours if you prefer.
- Next morning, or after 24 hours, release the leftover sap into the water from the okra pods by squeezing it. Then, you can throw the pods away once you do so.
- Pour the water into a glass, then drink the nutrient-rich beverage. Also, you can season the drink with salt and pepper, if you find it bland.
- Alternatively, to cut down on the time, you can boil the okra pods instead of keeping them soaked in water overnight.
- Once boiled, you can blend the slimy okra pods using water.
- You can have it warm as a soup, or wait for it to cool down to have as okra water.
Health Benefits of Okra Water:
1. Cancer Prevention
Consuming folate-rich foods such as okra is an important part of cancer prevention. One of several B vitamins, folate produces red blood cells, and both of these makes and repairs your DNA. High intake of folate may help protect against certain cancers, including those of the gut, breast, pancreas and lungs.
Some researchers believe that low folate levels can increase your risk of cancer and abnormal cell growth.
This is because of the role folate plays in gene expression—controlling when genes are turned off or on. Also, it has been found that low folate levels cause unstable and easily breakable DNA to build up, which may contribute to an increase cancer risk.
2. Diabetes Management
Okra or Lady Finger contains insulin like properties, these are beneficial for the treatment of diabetes. Okra juice helps in reducing sugar levels in the blood.
Therefore, consume okra juice regularly to control diabetes.
3. Lower Cholesterol Levels
As per the American Heart Association, individuals with diabetes are more likely to have unhealthy cholesterol levels. When high cholesterol levels are combined with diabetes, the outlook is not good. That’s why it’s so critical to make sure that your diet has healthy cholesterol levels.
Ookra can help in lowering cholesterol levels. The same soluble fiber present in okra reduces your low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, or the “bad” cholesterol by limiting the absorption of cholesterol into your bloodstream. About 5-10 grams or more of soluble fiber per day decreases your overall LDL cholesterol.
4. Prevents Stroke
Okra is filled with vitamin C, one of the most powerful anti-oxidants that the human body does not produce. Vitamin C plays an essential role in lowering blood pressure and keeping blood vessels healthy, therefore reducing the risk of stroke.
One study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition stated that those with the highest concentrations of vitamin C in their blood are linked with 42% lower stroke risk than those with the lowest concentrations.
Also, vitamin C lessens both the severity and duration of a cold and is necessary to produce collagen, a protein that your tissues and skin need to stay firm yet flexible.
5. Skin Health
Regular consumption of okra juice helps in improving the skin health. The antioxidants help in purifying the blood and reducing acne and other skin diseases, which are caused by the impurities in the blood. A clearer skin means a beautiful skin!
- How to Make Okra Water for Diabetes and Lowering Cholesterol
- What to Treat Using a Mixture of Okra and Water?
- Okra for Diabetes and Weight Loss
The Epoch Times
photo credit: pixabay