Cracked heels are one of the most common foot problem. This can occur in both children and adults, but seems to affect women more often than men.
Cracked helps are more likely to develop cracks if you spend a lot of time standing, let your skin get very dry and calloused or wear backless shoes that do not support your heel.
This problem gets worse as you get older because there’s loss of the fat pad on the bottom of your foot, and the body replaces it with callouses. For most individuals, having cracked heels is not serious. It may cause some discomfort when going barefoot.
Also, in some cases, cracks in the heels can become very deep and may cause pain. Read on below to find out about the best tips on how to prevent cracked heels.
1. Soak and Exfoliate Your Feet
The skin around cracked heels is often drier and thicke as compared to the rest of your skin. This skin tends to split when you apply pressure.
Therefore, soaking and moisturizing your feet can help a lot. Here are some tips you can follow:
- Soak your feet in lukewarm and soapy water for at least 20 minutes.
- Use a foot scrubber, loofah or pumice stone to remove any dead skin.
- Dry your feet.
- Apply a thick moisturizer or heel balm to the affected area.
- Put petroleum jelly over your feet to lock in the moisture. You can wear socks to avoid spreading any grease around.
- Avoid scrubbing your feet when they are dry. This can increase your risk for damaged skin.
2. Wear Socks
Improve the healing power of the foot cream you are using, by locking it in for the night using a pair of socks lined with silicone. You can buy silicone socks.
Or you can just wrap your heels in plastic wrap and wear regular socks on top before hitting the sheets for the night.
3. Wear the Right Shoes
Wear shoes that have proper backs, not slides or flip-flops. These can also help keep your heels from cracking.
If you are going to wear flip-flops, it is advisable to choose a pair with a thicker sole, for some shock absorption and arch support. When choosing shoes, choose one that keeps your foot a bit off the ground, so dirt does not get into any cracks. Also choose shoes that does not allow a lot of friction or slipping.