The flu is a type of viral infection that can be passed through colds, cough, and touch. It can be had by anyone regardless of their age and gender and can occur anytime. Among the symptoms that are usually linked to flu include clogged nose, dry cough, chills, sweats, and even runny nose too. Unless you treat your flu as soon as possible, it might become severe and can lead to pneumonia, bronchitis, or even ear infection.
Most of the time, you can take over the counter medications to counter colds and cough but if you don’t want to rely on medicine all the time, here are five DIY remedies that you can use to relieve the symptoms.
- Garlic. Garlic is one of the best options to treating flu because of its antibacterial properties. You should boil 2 cups of water then add 4 peeled and crushed cloves of garlic. Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add a teaspoon of raw honey, ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. Drink this mixture regularly until your flu goes away.
- Ginger. Another option to get rid of flu symptoms is to use ginger because it can help reduce inflammation in your lungs, nose, and throat. To start, you just need to boil a cup of water with a teaspoon of peeled and minced ginger root. Reduce the heat and let the water simmer for five minutes. Remove the pot from the heat then strain the mixture before adding a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. Drink this 2 times in a day.
- Hydration. The problem with flu is that it can also be accompanied with diarrhea and vomiting. This, in turn, can cause dehydration which can rob you of essential nutrients. A good rule of thumb to keep your body properly hydrated is to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water or more. You can also opt for tea because they are high in antioxidants and vitamins which can boost your immune system while fighting off any free radicals and toxins that are damaging your body.
- Steam. Clogged nasal passages can make it difficult for you to breathe so what better way to clear up our stuffy nose than steam? You need to boil a pot of water first. Put a towel over your head and lean towards the pot to let the steam do its work. Breathe slowly and deeply for 15 minutes or until the steam disappears. Do this 2 to 3 times per day.
- Honey and lemon juice. The combination of honey and lemon juice not only prevents bacteria from growing but it can also soothe your sore throat. Add a teaspoon of raw honey and a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in a mug. Add some hot water and mix thoroughly. Sip the drink once it has cooled down.