Food plays an important role in our lives as it gives us energy throughout the day. But did you know that what you eat can also help prolong your life? There are places in the world where people live up to the ripe age of 90 and above just like in Okinawa in Japan while those in San Blas in Panama rarely suffer from heart problems all because of the diet that they are following. Simply put, there is much to be gained by making changes to your diet especially since this can help extend your life.
What diet changes should you consider to extend your life span? Here are some that you should take note of.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. For those who have been skimping on vegetables and fruits, you might want to change your eating habits right this minute. Fruits and vegetables are packed with essential vitamins and minerals like fiber, vitamins A, C, and E, as well as antioxidants that provide protection against free radicals and other harmful toxins in your body. And because these foods are low in calorie content, you don’t have to worry about weight gain too much.
- Drink some wine. Drinking red wine has been found to help prevent cardiovascular problems. It is also helpful when it comes to preventing inflammation and regulating your cholesterol levels. Women should limit their intake to a glass of wine while men can imbibe up to two glasses.
- Whole grains. Just like fruits and vegetables, whole grains are packed with nutrients but are low in calorie content. From high amounts of fiber to antioxidants, adding oats, barley and other whole grains to your diet is definitely worth it especially when you want to protect your heart’s health.
- Have a slice of watermelon. What’s great about eating watermelon is that it contains high amounts of lycopene which is known for its ability to fight cancer and prevent various heart related issues like stroke, heart attack and the like. Make sure that you store watermelon in room temperature as it can produce more lycopene compared to chilled.
- Treat yourself to dark chocolate. It appears that chocolate played a role in the longevity of the residents of San Blas in Panama specifically dark chocolate. The presence of polyphenols in dark chocolate not only aids in the flexibility of your blood cells but they can also lower your blood pressure. Just make sure that you limit your intake to a small piece per day.
- Go nuts. Adding fats to your diet is also important but not the saturated ones. Look for foods that contain monounsaturated fats like nuts as they are effective in increasing your good cholesterol levels. Another reason to add nuts and seeds is that they can prevent atherosclerosis.
Changing your diet to a healthier one can definitely help in prolonging your life as you get plenty of protection against various illnesses. You don’t have to do these changes all at once. Making tweaks to your current diet can ease you into a healthier lifestyle in no time.