Yes, you had been lied to all this time. If you have been using the rice cooker solely for cooking rice, you may have been under-using this very handy device.
Rice is not the only food you can cook on a rice cooker, but rather a whole lot of dishes
This may be of great use to those who do not have a stove, or on a camping, etc.
Below are 5 simple dishes you can make on this very handy device:
1. Cinnamon Roll Pancake Recipe
Craving for cinnamon rolls? Yes, you can make a thick, delicious cinnamon roll pancake in the rice cooker. Here are the steps:
1 cup of pancake mix
1/2 cup water
Cinnamon roll mixture:
4 tbsp of softened butter
1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar
1 tsp of cinnamon
1. First you have to spray the rice cooker pan with non-stick spray and mixed up the pancake mixture.
2. Pour the pancake batter into the pan and spooned your cinnamon mixture on top in random clumps. Then use a knife to swirl it around in the batter.
3. Then put the lid on the pot and pressed the COOK button on your rice cooker.
4. The COOK button pop’s up on the rice cooker after about 5 minutes. If your pancakes were just starting to bubble, all you have to do is to put the lid back on and let them steam on the WARM setting for about 8-10 minutes or more if needed.
You don’t want it to warm more than 10 minutes, or it will burn the bottom of your rice cooker pancake. If it is finished you just need to place it onto a plate and put glaze or syrup on it.
2. Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Making mashed potatoes has never been this easy, all you need to do is to follow this steps:
1 ½ lbs potatoes, coarsely chopped
¼ cup milk
Coarsely ground black pepper
Optional mix-ins such as butter, pressed garlic cloves, cream cheese, sour cream or cheddar cheese.
1. Place the potatoes and enough water to cover them into the rice Cooker.
2. Cover and put the microwave on HIGH 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
3. Carefully remove the inner lid and drain the water. Add milk to the potatoes; mash potatoes using the Mix ‘N Masher. Add salt, black pepper, and mix-ins, if desired; mix thoroughly.
3. Mac and Cheese Recipe
If your kids love cheese or pasta, and you have a lot of things to do besides cooking, this mac and cheese recipe cooked on a rice cooker would really be useful for you busy mom’s out there.
2 cups Pasta
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (You can use a 3 cheese blend of mozzarella, cheddar and monterey jack
1 cup whole milk
1 Tsp salt
1. Place the first 3 ingredients in the rice cooker and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Open the lid, add the milk and cheese, then stir to combine.
3. Close the lid and cook for an additional 20 minutes or 25 minutes if you want it to have a crust on the bottom.
*Rice cookers can cook at different heats, therefore check the mac & cheese after if cooks for 30 minutes, at least once or twice.
* Option: You can also add a cup of finely chopped broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, frozen peas or butternut squash. Do this in step #2.
4. Quinoa Recipe
If you are planning to serve Quinoa as a side dish for family dinner, this hands off method is good for you.
Quinoa is rather bland on its own and needs flavor spikes. So you may play with it by adding herbs etc. It makes for a delicious and hearty sprightly salads, pilaf or a warm and grainy side dish in place of rice.
Steps on how to cook quinoa in a rice cooker:
1. Using a fine mesh sieve rinse 1 cup of organic quinoa in cold water. Then drain.
2. Dump rinsed quinoa into your rice cooker.
3. Add 2 cups fresh water.
4. Turn on your rice cooker.
In about fifteen minutes, you will have a hot and fluffy quinoa.