Nowadays brightly colored lipsticks are becoming a norm in the world of fashion. If you want a different shade of lipstick, something unique or a wild color but don’t have enough money to buy designer lipsticks, this may be a good idea for you.
So we see a lot of DIY’s on how to make lip balms, at first you may doubt if it safe to use or not, so I made a research on crayons specifically crayola and found out that it is safe almost has the same ingredients as with regular lipsticks.
DIY Lip Balm
- 1 whole crayon or you may combine one or more colors, equal to one crayon. You can do 1/2+1/2, or 1/3 of three different colors.
- 1/2 tsp of shea butter
- 1/2 tsp any type of oil you may use olive, almond, jojoba, or coconut.
- A heat source. You may use a candle or a pan
- Large metal ladle
- Small metal spoon
- Then you have the freedom to choose any container you want for your lip balm, any container with a lid may do, you may use a small empty lip balm jar or empty contact lens case.
If you like it fragrant or use a little sparkle… these two will be optional.
- A drop or two of essential oil or extract (like vanilla or almond) for a scent.
- Glitters!! If you want a little spice of sparkle on your lips.
1. Choose your colors! It’s up for you to decide a shade you like or mix it up to a another shade. The darker and/or more vibrant the crayon color, the better the results.
2. Peel the paper label off. It will come off really easily if you run it under warm water for a few seconds first.
3. Put your oil and shea butter, plus a drop or two of essential oil if using, in the ladle first.
4. Then add your crayons. If you are using just one single color, divide it into pieces so that it melts more easily. Now if you’re mixing in different colors, it’s up for you to decide if you want 1/3 of these color, etc.
5. Hold the ladle over a lit candle (about 3 inches away from the flame) then you may add in your ingredients carefully.
6. Your crayons will begin to melt in about 30 seconds. As it is melting, you can slowly stir using a chopstick or a metal spoon until all ingredients melts. Make sure all ingredients are mixed together.
7. Remove the ladle from the heat.
8. If you are adding glitters, stir it in right after you remove ladle from the heat.
9. Using your chopstick or spoon, pour the mixture into your container. Do this with caution as the mixture will be very hot.
10. Let it cool in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Then voila! You have a less expensive lip balm that you probably have enjoyed making. You can now apply it with your fingers for a tinted lip balm look, or you can use a brush and apply it layer by layer for a much radiant shade on your lips.