Sroke can have life-threatening consequences but there is a way to recognize the warning signs your body is sending. It is among the top leading causes of death in the USA, therefore you should pay close attention to any unusual changes in your body and act immediately.
What is a Stroke?
Stroke happens when the blood supply to the brain is blocked or interrupted for any reason. Control over perception, movement, speech, other mental or bodily functions is impaired and consciousness itself may be lost.
Disruptions of blood circulation to your brain may result in a stroke and this can occur in two basic forms, both potentially life-threatening.
Two Types of Stroke:
1. Ischemic Stroke
The more common type of stroke and is caused by blocking and narrowing of the arteries to the brain thus reducing the blood flow.
2. Hemorrhagic Stroke
This is less typical and caused by bleeding in the brain.
Warning Signs of Stroke:
Sometimes a stroke can develop gradually. But most likely, you will have one or more sudden warning signs like these:
- Sudden NUMBNESS or weakness of arm, face or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden CONFUSION, having trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Sudden TROUBLE SEEING in just one or both eyes
- Sudden TROUBLE WALKING, loss of coordination or balance and dizziness
- Sudden SEVERE HEADACHE with no known causes
Prevention is the best treatment for a stroke. You can take the steps below, to minimize your risk factors for having a stroke.
- Drinking in moderation
- Exercise regularly
- Eat more beans, nuts and vegetables
- Eat more seafood instead of poultry and red meat
- Limit you intake of fats, sugar and refined grains
- Quit smoking