Using rice water to strengthen the hair is not new. It has been use back to the ancient Heian period in Japan, when court ladies were known to have beautiful and healthy hair.
The secret was rice water.
Studies have reported that inositol, which is an ingredient present in rice water, is able to penetrate damaged hair, and therefore repair it from the inside out. Also, it can even protects your hair from future damage.
And the best part about this beauty product is that it is easy to make. The materials you need is just rice and water.
How to Make Rice Water:
To enjoy the wonderful beauty benefits of rice water, all you have to do is just to collect the water that you use to rinse your rice.
2 to 3 cups water
1/2 cup uncooked rice (brown, white long grain, white short grain, jasmine, or whatever you have)
1. Rinse the rice with 1 cup of water to remove any impurities or dirt.
2. Place the rice in a bowl and cover with water.
3. Soak the rice for 15-30 minutes.
4. Swirl it around or knead lightly until the water turns cloudy. This will help the minerals and vitamins seep into the water, by making a nourishing rinse for your skin and hair.
5. Strain the rice water into a clean bowl. The rice water is now ready to use.
Fermented Rice Water:
1. Leave the rice water at room temperature for 1 day, or until it turns slightly sour. This means that the rice water has started to ferment. This can take 24-48 hours, depending on how warm it is. The warmer the room temperature, the faster the fermentation process.
2. To decrease the fermentation time, leave the rice sitting in the water and strain once it has fermented. (Leave it covered for 12 to 24 hours.)
1. The recommended use is to boil the fermented rice water, but some people do not do this. But everyone’s hair is different, therefore you may want to try out both methods to see what works best for you.
2. Fermented rice water is very potent, therefore you need to dilute it using 1-2 cups of warm water before use. Just adjust according to your hair’s needs. You should use more for dry hair and less for oily hair.
1. You can also boil the rice to extract the rice water.
2. Boil the rice using more water than you would normally do.
3. Once it starts boiling take out the excess water and use it or you can also let the rice fully cook, then strain, and use that excess water.
The rice water will be very concentrated, therefore, make sure to dilute it with plain water until it is just slightly cloudy.
1. Hair Growth
Using rice water can aid hair growth and help to decrease hair fall. The amino acids which are present in rice water, in particular, can help in the regeneration of hair and in faster growth of your hair.
Also, rice water contains vitamins E, C and B, which help in hair growth. The best way to use rice water for grow hair is to rinse your hair with it after washing. Do this process at least 2 times per week to see the results.
2. Hair Rinse
Using plain or fermented rice water is an excellent conditioner. This is because it helps repair and strengthen damaged hair shaft, while also providing smoothness and elasticity.
For extra nourishment, you can add a few drops of essential oils such as lavender, rosemary or chamomile.
1. Pour the rice water on your hair.
2. Gently massage your hair and scalp.
3. Leave on for 4-5 minutes (or up to 20 minutes if you have time).
4. Rinse your hair thoroughly using plain water. Use this once a week as a last rinse.
3. Remove Split Ends
Your hair needs protein in order to avoid split ends, and rice water contains plenty of it.
The main causes of split ends are pollution and inadequate maintenance, which lead to an overall degeneration in the health of hair. The amino acids that are present in rice water can help in repairing the damage.
1. Soak the split ends in rice water for at least 15-20 minutes.
2. Wash your hair. You will gradually see improvement in your hair.
If you store the rice water in the fridge, it will stay good for up to 1 week. Shake it everytime before use.