Lemons are quite acidic to the taste but when they enter the body they become alkaline in nature which can help bring balance to the pH levels in our body. This particular fruit is well loved in many households which isn’t surprising given that lemons have plenty of interesting benefits linked to it. What makes lemon an essential to your kitchen? Here are some reasons that you should know about.
- It’s high in vitamin C. Vitamin C is known to give one’s immune system a boost. This in turn helps fight common ailments like cough, colds, and the like.
- It can help with oral care. Another benefit of lemon is that it can be used for oral care. For example, if you are suffering from toothache, applying fresh lemon juice on the damaged tooth can help ease the throbbing pain. It can also help stop the bleeding from your gums. Just massage the juice of the lemon on the affected area.
- Treats scurvy. Patients who are diagnosed with scurvy will find lemon to be quite efficient in treating this disease. All you have to do is to dilute up to 2 ounces of lemon juice with water and drink it every 2 to 4 hours. Most ships that patrol the ocean often have lemon on board to protect their crew against scurvy.
- Good for hair care. For those with hair problems like hair loss and dandruff, have some lemon. The juice from this fruit can be applied directly onto the scalp to treat hair and scalp problems. On the other hand, applying the juice on your hair can make it shinier.
- Aids in weight loss. When it comes to losing weight, we need all the help that we can get and it appears that lemon can contribute to our weight loss goal. All that you have to do is to mix lemon juice with honey and warm water and drink first thing in the morning. This will help flush any toxins in the body while giving your organs the boost they need to function properly.
- It has antibacterial properties. Another reason why lemon is important to our body is because it contains antibacterial properties that can help provide protection against various bacteria like diphtheria, cholera, typhoid, malaria and other dangerous bacteria that can inhabit the body.
- It can treat respiratory problems. Lemon is also useful when it comes to treating respiratory problems like asthma. Thanks to the presence of vitamin C, lemons can also strengthen one’s respiratory system to combat breathing problems.
- It can soothe burns. Accidents can happen in the kitchen such as burning your fingers or hands on a hot pot. In this instance, you can apply some lemon juice on the affected area to help soothe the burning sensation on the skin. What’s more, lemon juice can also help reduce the appearance of scars on skin when applied regularly.
There is no doubt that lemon should have a place in everyone’s kitchen. With these health benefits linked to this fruit, you will be able to protect your family against various health problems in the long run.