Green tea is loaded with antioxidants. These help in preventing the damage done by free radicals, and also protects skin cells. Therefore, green tea helps maintain a healthy skin, while preventing early signs of aging. Also, these antioxidants assist in lightening the marks and scars left in the aftermath of a pimple onslaught.
Most importantly, green tea contains catechins, which showcase anti-microbial properties that fight acne-causing bacteria. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, green tea is able to lessen redness and inflammation caused by pimples.
How to Use Green Tea to Treat Acne?
There are variousways in which you can use green tea to treat acne:
1. Drink Green Tea
You can drink at least 4-5 cups of green tea daily. Opt to Choose the caffeine free varieties.
Like many vegetables and fruits, green tea contains many polyphenols. Also, it containscatechins and (–)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate or EGCG, which is potent antioxidant that shows 25-50 times more antioxidant activity than vitamins C and E.
This EGCG helps in preventing testosterone from converting into DHT, which on the other hand, is very beneficial for hormonal acne sufferers.
Use fresh green tea leaves and water for brewing. Also get the green tea from reputed vendors. You may also take green tea extract supplements or pills of 750mg per day.
2. Green Tea for Acne
This treatment helps tone your face by refining pores, protecting your skin with antioxidants, removing excess dirt and grime, and preparing your skin for hydration.
The tea also helps soothe your face, minimizes redness, and treats existing acne. The EGCG, a catechin present in green tea, helps get rid of acne.
1. Brew some green tea and let it cool completely. You can drink most of the tea and spare 2-3 tbsp for this treatment.
2. Place the cooled green tea in a spray bottle.
3. Wash your face using a facial cleanser and dry.
4. Spritz the green tea onto your face and let it dry.
5. Rinse using cold water and pat your skin dry.
6. Apply moisturizer.
7. Do this at least twice daily.
3. Green Tea with Honey for Acne
Also, you can try other home remedies for acne by using a treatment plan that combine together green tea with other powerful natural ingredients. A good example is using honey and green tea for acne.
This natural remedy for acne works because honey exhibits antibacterial properties and mild bleaching properties, which fight acne and fade acne marks, respectively. Honey is also a humectant that moisturizes your skin.
1 Tablespoon Organic honey
Green tea bag
1. Steep the tea bag in hot water for at least 3 minutes.
2. Remove the bag and allow it to cool.
3. Cut the bag and extract the green tea leaves.
4. Combine these leaves with the honey.
5. Wash you face using the cleanser and gently pat your skin dry.
6. Apply, the honey green tea leaves mixture on your face.
7. Leave on for 20 minutes.
8. Rinse your face with cold water and let dry.
9. Use this method at least 3-4 times in a week.
photo credit: pixabay