Shoulder pain may happen in any of the ligaments, muscles or tendons in and around your shoulder. Once your shoulder starts hurting, it can be very hard to concentrate on anything else.
Individuals of all ages can experience shoulder pain. But, people who use tablets, laptops and smartphones for extended periods are more prone to this problem. You can try the below natural home remedies to relieve shoulder pain.
For chronic and severe shoulder pain, consult a doctor for proper treatment and diagnosis.
1. Cold Compress
For shoulder pain, the first natural home treatment you should try is applying a cold compress on the affected area. The cold temperature will help numb the pain and help in reducing inflammation.
Also, it will limit the build-up of lactic acid, which is a by-product of muscle metabolism that can increase painand muscle soreness.
1. Put some ice cubes in a towel.
2. Place it against the painful area for at least 10-15 minutes.
3. Repeat every 2 hours for the first 48 hours.
Do not apply the ice directly on the skin, as it can cause frostbite and can make the condition even worse.
2. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt can give relief from your shoulder pain by improving the
blood circulation and releasing the stress not only in your shoulder
but also from your whole body.
1. Fill you bathtub with lukewarm water.
2. Place 2 cups of Epsom salt in the water.
3. Mix thoroughly so that the salt gets dissolved in water properly.
4. Sit in the water with your shoulders submerged for at least 20-25 minutes.
5. Repeat it 3x a week to get better results.
You can soak a towel in warm water with Epsom salt. Place this towel
on your shoulder to treat shoulder pain.
3. Hot Compress
Just like cold compresses, hot compresses can also help in treating shoulder inflammation, pain and swelling. It is better to use hot compress after 48 hours of the occurence of injury. Also, hot compress help relieve the pain of stressed out muscles.
1. Put hot water in the hot water bag.
2. Apply it on your aching shoulder for at least 10-15 minutes.
3. Repeat a few times per day until you get complete relief.
You can also stand in the shower and run warm to slightly hot water on your affected shoulder for at least 5-10 minutes. You can enjoy this hot shower at least twice daily.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil can help provide relief from shoulder pain. It can improve your blood circulation and reduces swelling and stiffness.
1. Heat some olive oil for just a few seconds.
2. Allow it to cool.
3. Ask someone to massage it on your affected shoulder.
4. Apply some pressure and squeeze the shoulder muscles well to
release the stress.
5. Do this for at least 10 minutes.
Repeat it a few times daily to help get relief from the pain.