Oregano is an important medicinal and culinary herb that has been used in medicine and cooking for so many years. It is a wonderful herb with many health promoting properties. It is a species of Origanum, which belongs to the mint family, Lamiaceae.
1. Anti-inflammatory Properties
Oregano contains beta-caryophyllin or E-BCP, a compound that inhibits inflammation. It is also found to be beneficial for conditions, including arteriosclerosis, osteoporosis, and metabolic syndrome.
2. Cancer-Fighting Properties
Oregano contains a phytochemical known as carnosol, which has been evaluated for its anti-cancer properties in colon, leukemia, skin and prostate cancer. It exhibits anticancer activity by encouraging growth arrest and cell cycle arrest in colon cancer cells.
3. Antibacterial Properties
Oregano contains thymol and carvacol, which are powerful anti-microbial phytochemicals. Studies have also shown that the essential oils from oregano may kill the superbug MRSA and the foodborne pathogen Listeria.
4. Immune System Support
Oregano contains rosmarinic acid, a powerful antioxidant that support immune system health. Also oregano is considered to be one of the highest antioxidant activity ratings, because it contains 42 times the antioxidant punch of apples.
5. Upper Respiratory Infections
Oregano was found to be effective in relieving symptoms for those who have upper respiratory infections. It is also found to be effective if you have a cold or the flu.
6. Oregano contains:
Oregano contains iron, fiber, vitamin E, manganese, calcium, iron, manganese, omega fatty acids and typtophan.
Oregano is also rich in vitamin K, which help promotes the maintenance of bone density, bone growth, production of blood clotting.
How to Use Oregano
- Used as a spice to enhance the flavor in the preparation of chicken, meat and fish dishes.
- Can be added into fruit salads.
- Can be used in the preparation of sauces, pickling and soups
- Oregano decoction, taken orally is used for the treatment of influenza, colds, stomach upsets, mild fever and painful menstruation.
- Oregano oil when diluted in coconut oil, can be used on skin infections.
- Oregano oil, diluted in olive oil can be apply on sore joints and muscles for pain relief.