Carom seeds, or also known as Bishops weed, contains many health benefits. It is use in cooking and as an important ingredient in some medicines.
It is well known for its medicinal properties, since ancient times. The seeds taste bitter and hot. It is known as Ajwain in India, and is used both, in Ayurvedic and Unani medicine.
It is one of the most known home remedies for stomach related issues. The seed yields an essential oil, which contains thymol, and is used extensively in medicine.
1. Treatment of Arthritic and Rheumatic Pain
Due to its anaesthetic and anti-inflammatory properties, carom seed is a good way to get rid of pain due to arthritis and rheumatism. Also, it contains powerful antibiotic compounds that help in soothing inflammation and other symptoms such as redness, skin itching and pain caused due to inflammatory skin diseases.
How to Use:
1. Soak your aching joints in a basin of warm water with some carom or ajwain seeds.
2. Alternatively you could crush the seed and apply the paste on the affected area to get instant relief.
2. Treatment for Coughs
Carom seeds are rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidants compounds, which helps in relieving chest congestion, colds and sinusitis. If you have headache with cold, this remedy can help.
How to Use Carom Seeds for Coughs:
Method 1 – For Coughs
1. Take a teaspoon of carom seeds.
2. Dry roast the seeds for at least 2-3 minutes on a pan. Then, once the seeds start giving out fumes or strong fragrance, switch off the gas.
3. Add all the seeds in a clean cotton cloth and tie it to make a potli/parcel.
4. Inhale the fumes of the seeds by keeping the parcel close to your nose.
5. Do this for at least 10–15 minutes or until you feel the pungent fragrance of the seeds.
– Repeat the process for at least 3-4 times daily. This is to get rid of the cold in a 1-2days.
– Carom seed contains a strong fragrance, so be careful. Also, make sure that the potli/parcel is not too hot as it can sting your nose.
Method 2 – For Coughs
1 cup Water
3 Tbsps Cumin seeds
6 tsp Honey –
1 tsp Carom seeds
4 Leaves of Basil / Tulasi – (optional)
Measuring cups and spoons
1. Boil water for 5 minutes using low heat. Then add carom seeds and cumin seeds.
2. After 5 minutes remove from heat. Then add tulasi or basil leaves and allow to soak up.
3. Filter the liquid and add honey to it.
4. Take 3 tbsp of the liquid. Then store the excess in the fridge.
– For those who can handle drinking without honey you can keep adding this to a warm cup of wate.
3. Remedy for Acidity
Since carom seeds help in improving digestion, it can also help in relieving acidity. The thymol content present in the seeds help in releasing stomach acids, which then helps in reducing the regurgitation of acids.
How to Use:
1. Mix 1 teaspoon of carom seed and 1 teaspoon of cumin.
2. Boil them in a glass of water. The solution should contain a golden colour.
3. Drink this whenever you have an attack of acidity for instant relief.