For those who are eating healthy, you know that you need to have more fruits and vegetables on your plate compared to other types of food as they are already ideal sources for vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients that your body needs. And if you’ve been paying attention to the what you eat, you will notice that they come in different shades of green, yellow, and purple just to name a few. As for health experts, many are recommending that you eat more fruits and vegetables that are purple in color as they have numerous health benefits to bestow upon you. Among these benefits that you can reap from them include:
- Slows down aging. Fruits and vegetables that come in this color are high in antioxidant content which can help slow down signs of aging. If you want to look younger than your years, you should increase your intake of foods that come in purple color as their antioxidant levels are far higher compared to others. Keep in mind the darker it is the more antioxidants they will contain.
- Regulates blood pressure. Foods like prunes, eggplant, black currant, concord grapes, and purple cabbage can help regulate your blood pressure because of the presence of flavonoids. This means that you won’t be at a high risk of suffering from high blood pressure and other heart related health problems. What’s more, eating these foods can also keep certain cancers at bay which is another plus.
- Prevents urinary tract infection. Another health benefit that you can get from eating purple foods is preventing urinary tract infection from occurring. This is due to the anthocyanins present in purple foods where they prevent bacteria like E.coli from clinging to the walls of your urinary tract. The more you eat purple colored food, the safer you will be against the discomfort associated with UTI.
- Better heart health. It is important that you maintain heart health at all times to prevent incidences of heart attacks and other heart problems. And what better way to do this than adding purple foods to your daily diet? From the antioxidants present all the way to the anthocyanins these foods contain, these nutrients can help ensure that your heart is in its best condition at all times.
- Reduces risk of colon cancer. What else can you get from eating purple foods? How about lowering your risk of suffering from colon cancer? The anthocyanins present in the skin of these purple foods definitely packs a punch when it comes to your health so make sure that they make an appearance on your dinner table.
As you can see, there are plenty of health benefits to be gained from eating foods that come in purple hues or darker. The best part is that they can be prepared and served in various ways that will endear these purple veggies and fruits to the whole family. You might be surprised to find that you’re feeling considerably better and healthier than before when eating purple foods.