High cholesterol levels increase your risk of acquiring various health problems such as cardiovascular health issues not to mention heart issues such as heart attack and even stroke. The good news is that with a few tweaks to your lifestyle, this shouldn’t be too much of a problem especially when you have perfect control over your cholesterol level based on the food that you eat.
What types of food can help reduce your cholesterol level? Here are a few examples of foods that can help lower your cholesterol.
- Walnuts. Walnuts are known to contain both omega-3 and monounsaturated fatty acids. Eating this nut is found to be effective in reducing one’s cholesterol level by 15%. It is also believed that walnuts can help reduce inflammation not to mention improve the function of blood vessels in your body. Aside from the omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts are found to contain B complex vitamins as well as vitamin E just to name a few.
- Olive Oil. Another superfood that is most likely found in your kitchen is olive oil. This oil is actually one of the best sources of monounsaturated fats and it can also help reduce inflammation as well as cholesterol levels. If you are considering switching to a diet that is heart healthy then make sure that you have olive oil in the kitchen. Not only is it perfect for cooking but it can also work well with salads as a dressing.
- Red Wine. Drinking alcohol can expose you to various health issues especially when you drink excessively but scientists have discovered that drinking red wine is actually good for your health and your cholesterol levels. Wines that have been made using a specific type of grape called Tempranillo red grapes are found to be quite effective in lowering cholesterol levels. A glass of wine at night may just be what you need to help reduce your cholesterol levels.
- Orange Juice. Since we are in the subject of drinks, the orange juice is yet another type of superfood that can help beat back your cholesterol. Usually drank in the morning during breakfast, the orange juice is a good source of vitamin C. Aside from this, orange juice also contains magnesium, B-complex vitamins, vitamin A, and potassium. One study showed that drinking orange juice on a regular basis can also help those with normal cholesterol levels by preventing a spike in their cholesterol.
- Tea. Tea is a popular choice when it comes to preventing cancer thanks to the numerous antioxidants found in it but did you know that this popular beverage is a great choice when it comes to lowering cholesterol? Based on a research conducted by the USDA, they found that black tea can reduce lipids in the blood by up to 10% in just three weeks.
- Chocolate. Chocolate is also another type of superfood that is quite effective in lowering one’s cholesterol levels because of the antioxidants found in it. However, make sure that you choose the dark or bitter chocolate compared to milk chocolate and the like because they contain plenty of calories.