The best way to know what’s in your beauty products is to make them ourselves. Lemons contain properties which make them a great ingredient in many organic beauty recipes. Also, there’s the added benefit that all the recipes below smell great.
But, did you know that lemons can also be used as a multipurpose beauty product? Below are 5 things you can use lemons for in your beauty routine:
1. Lemon Body Scrub
You can make your own clarifying body toner or lotion by mixing lemon with coconut water, and used as a body astringent. The coconut will help hydrate your skin, and the lemon will clear and brighten it.
For troubled skin, you can replace coconut water with coconut oil, and then massage into knees, upper arms and elbows.
1. Mix a few drops of coconut water and equal amounts of lemon juice.
2. Lemon Cucumber Toner
One way to use lemons to fight acne and have glowing skin is to make a soothing toner.
3 cups Cold water
2 Tbps Lemon juice
1/2 cup Cucumber slices
¼ cup Lemon slices
1. Add all the ingredients in a jar.
2. Dip in a cotton ball and apply it into your face.
3. Refrigerate and use the lemon toner for at least 1 week.
3. Lemon for Highlighted Hair
This is known to be one of lemon’s most well-known beauty uses. This method can help lighten your hair and make it shiny.
1. Apply lemon juice to your hair and expose it to the sun.
2. Upon sun contact, the lemon will help lighten your hair, therefore giving it light and golden highlights. Do this at least once a week for good results.
4. Lemon as Nail Strengthener
2 Tbps Olive oil
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1. Mix the lemon juice and olive oil in a glass bowl.
2. Warm the mixture in a microwave for about 10-15 seconds.
3. Apply onto your nails. Do this method before bedtime.
4. Cover your nails using cotton gloves
5. Wash your hands in the morning and apply moisturizer.
6. Ply on the nails.
8. Leave on for 2 minutes.
9. Wash off.
5. Lemon Scrub to Lighten Armpits
Lemon is an excellent remedy for caring for your armpit skin, as its properties act as a natural deodorant and at the same time helps clear up the dark stains that usually form in this area of the body.
Lemon’s citric acid is responsible for removing the bacteria that cause bad odors, so it can work as an emergency deodorant.
1. Mix lemon juice, oatmeal and a little bit of honey.
2. Apply the resulting paste into your armpits.
3. Leave on for 1 hour.