Persistent coughing can be quite embarrassing not to mention a source of discomfort at times. There are basically two types of coughs. The first one is the productive cough where you are trying to cough up the gunk or mucus in your chest which is actually good and can be further helped with an expectorant. On the other hand, there is the dry, hacking cough which you need to stifle as soon as possible because they can be quite persistent. This type of cough is often triggered by allergies, colds, or even being in a dusty environment.
Although there are different types of medication that can treat your cough, you don’t have to rely on medication all the time. As a matter of fact, here are 5 natural remedies that you can try to relieve dry cough.
- Honey. Honey is considered as one of the best remedies for dry cough as its stickiness and viscosity can help coat the irritated lining of your respiratory tract to alleviate your cough. This natural remedy is also known to contain antibacterial properties which help treat any bacteria that may have caused your cough. You can take a tablespoon of raw honey up to three times a day to soothe your itchy throat.
- Lemon. Ifyou are looking for a quick relief for dry cough, why not try some lemons? For this quick treatment, you will need to quarter a lemon. Sprinkle some salt and black pepper on one slice then suck it quickly. This remedy is not for those who are faint of heart but you will be surprised on how quickly it remedies your dry cough.
- Salt water gargle. Most gargle with salt water when they have sore throat but the same remedy can be applied to those with dry cough. When there is more salt outside the mucus membrane, water will start flowing so that it will balance everything. When the water goes down, the swelling in your throat and respiratory tract will go down thus providing relief.
- Almonds. There are several ancient traditions that make use of almonds to relieve dry cough. You only need to blend a few almonds together with a glass of orange juice and sip the drink throughout the day to provide you with relief from that pesky dry cough.
- Ginger peppermint syrup. This cough treatment will definitely give you the results that you are looking for without having a hard time getting ginger into your system. Ginger is known as an expectorant which can help dislodge phlegm in your lungs. What’s more, ginger can also help ease the itchiness that often starts at the back of the throat so you won’t have to worry about breaking out in a coughing fit. For this syrup, you will need to have 1 tablespoon of dried peppermint, 3 tablespoons of chopped ginger, 1 cup of honey, and 4 cups of water. You will need to add the ginger and peppermint in the water that you have prepared before bringing it to a boil. Let it simmer afterwards then strain once it’s reduced. Add honey and stir. You should take a tablespoon of this syrup every 3 hours or so depending on your needs.