It’s back-to-school time! If you are a parent, you are faced once again with an old perennial problem: what snack to pack in your children’s lunchboxes! While growing kids need sufficient energy and nutrition to fuel their mind and body while at school, planning a delicious and nutritious recess snack every day can be quite a challenge.
Moms and dads have to be more inventive when it comes to snack ideas. Of course, it’s not just any snack, but something to nourish your kids and tickle their appetite as they experience a typical school day.
Indeed, parents can make going back to school cool for their children by trying out new recipes for the new school year. We encourage parents to make time to prepare healthier homemade substitutes, which not only cater to your children’s taste buds but also to your budget.
No more hassles with these fun and easy nutritious and delicious back-to-school snack ideas that your kids will love. With these recipes, we’ve got you covered!
1. Grilled Cheese with Zucchini
2 cup grated zucchini
2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 large egg
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup cornstarch
Freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil, for cooking
1. First, make sure that there are no excess moisture on the zucchini by squashing zucchini with a clean kitchen towel.
2. Combine zucchini with egg, Parmesan, green onions and cornstarch in a bowl.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour vegetable oil in a large skillet.
5. Pour about 1/4 cup of the zucchini mixture onto one part of the pan and form into a small square-shaped. Repeat precedure on the other side. Fry until golden brown on both sides, cooking for about 4 minutes per side.
6. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
7. Repeat with remaining zucchini mixture.
8. Over medium heat, put two zucchini patties in the skillet.
9. Place shredded cheese over both patties, then place two more zucchini patties on top to form two sandwiches. Cook until the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining mixture.
10. Serve immediately.
2. SQUASH AND BANANA PANCAKE
4 large bananas (saba)
1 cup mashed squash
1 cup coconut milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup lime (dayap) juice
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup malunggay water
1/4 cup caster sugar
60 g. butter
Strips of lime rind, for serving
1. Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the sugar, mashed squash, and mix through with a spoon. 2. Make a well in the middle, pour in the combined coconut milk, malunggay water, and egg, and then beat until smooth.
3. Melt a little butter in a heated non-stick frying pan. Pour 1/4 cup of the pancake mixture into the pan and cook over medium heat until the underside is golden brown. Turn the pancake over and cook the other side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
4. Repeat the process with the remaining pancake batter, greasing the pan when necessary.
Keep the pancakes warm while preparing the bananas.
5. Cut the bananas diagonally into thick slices.
6. Heat the butter in the pan, add the bananas, and toss until coated. Cook over medium heat until bananas start to soften and brown.
7. Sprinkle bananas with the brown sugar and stir gently until it has melted.
8. Pour in the lime juice. Serve as a stack, layering bananas and some sauce between each pancake.
9. Sprinkle with the lime rind, cut into wedges and serve.
3. APPLE DONUTS
12 oz. cream cheese, softened, cut into thirds
2 tsp. honey, divided
1/2 c. melted chocolate
1-2 drops pink food coloring
Assorted sprinkles, for decorating
1. Divide cream cheese among three small bowls.
2. In first bowl, add 1 teaspoon honey.
3. Add melted chocolate in the second bowl.
4. In the last bowl, add remaining honey and pink food coloring.
5. Stir each bowl together until combined.
6. Slice apples and use a biscuit or cookie cutter to hollow out centers.
7. Spread mixtures on apple slices and top with sprinkles.
4. VEGGIE CHEESEBURGER
1 cup cooking oil
1 medium lettuce
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup malunggay leaves, chopped
1/2 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped or blended banana heart
1/4 k. ground beef
150 g. sesame seeds
1. Combine ingredients in a bowl.
2. Mix well and form every half cup into a patty.
3. Grill or pan fry in oil until cooked.
4. Serve with cucumber or your choice of vegetables.