Knee pain is a common medical condition that is due to the constant wear and tear of the knee joint. It is mostly experienced by older adults, young adults and even children. Women are more vulnerable to knee pain than men.
Pain in the knees are due to the wear and tear because of aging and weakened bone structure. Other common causes may include ligament injuries, fractures, dislocation of the knee joint, meniscus injuries and stiffness in the joint due to lupus, arthritis and other chronic ailments.
But do not let your knee pain sideline you from doing the things you enjoy. You can get rid of knee pain with some easy home remedies.
Below are some easy to follow natural remedies for knee pain:
1. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate which is known to provide relief from knee pain. Magnesium acts as a natural muscle relaxant and helps remove excess fluid from the tissues. This in turn reduces swelling, pain and inflammation.
How to Use:
1. Add 1/2 cup of Epsom salt to a hot bath.
2. Stir it well.
3. Soak the affected knee in the solution for at least 15 minutes.
– You can do this a few times per week until you get complete relief from the pain.
– This remedy is not recommended for those suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes and heart problems.
Whether knee pain is due to arthritis, muscle strain or injury, ginger is an effective remedy to alleviate the pain. Its effectiveness comes from the presence of anti-inflammatory compounds in it. Ginger can reduce swelling on the knee as well as the pain.
Crush a small piece of fresh ginger root, add to one cup of water and boil it for 10 minutes. Strain and add a little honey and lemon juice. Drink two to three cups of this ginger tea daily until the pain is gone.
You can also massage the affected knee with ginger oil two or three times a day until you are satisfied with the results.
Lemon is a beneficial home remedy for knee pain caused by arthritis. The citric acid that is present in lemon acts as a solvent for uric acid crystals. This is the cause of some types of arthritis.
How to Use:
1. Cut 1-2 lemons into small pieces.
2. Tie the pieces using a cotton cloth and dip it in warm sesame oil.
3. Place the cloth on the affected knee for at least 5-10 minutes.
– Do this at least twice daily until the pain is gone completely.
– You can also drink the juice of 1 lemon diluted in a glass of warm water, in the morning on an empty stomach.