You’ve probably come across the term or even heard about cruciferous vegetables at one point in your life and have associated them with numerous health benefits and you are right. Vegetables that fall under this category such as kale, cauliflower, cabbage, collards, and mustard greens can actually help fight cancer as well as detoxify your body.
What Makes Them Great?
Cruciferous vegetables are often recommended because they are packed with important nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, and phytochemicals just to name a few. Fiber is needed by our digestive system to help cleanse it from any toxins that may have been hitchhiking in the foods that you have been eating. Plus having enough fiber can help make you feel full for longer periods which in turn can prevent you from eating more than is necessary.
Vitamin C, on the other hand, boosts the immune system so you will have more chances of fighting off various diseases. Plus, vitamin C can increase antioxidants in your body which can help eliminate free radicals that can harm your body. As for the phytochemicals, these are the ones that can fight off cancer forming in your body.
Cruciferous Vegetables for Your Daily Diet
So which cruciferous vegetables should you add to your daily diet? Here are some that are not only healthy but tasty too.
- Arugula. Best served raw, arugula contains vitamins A, C, B6, K, niacin, thiamine, and riboflavin which aid in brain and bone development as well as detoxifying your body from impurities. It can also help you fight off any cancer cells that are growing.
- Broccoli. Broccolis contain high amounts of fiber which not only lowers your cholesterol levels but also improve the function of your digestive system. Another plus to eating broccoli is that it contains anti-inflammatory properties and a decent amount of antioxidants for fighting free radicals.
- Cauliflower. If you are looking for a vegetable that can fight off inflammation, you should choose cauliflowers. Apart from it being high in antioxidants and fiber content, cauliflower can reduce chronic stress because of the magnesium present in it.
- Collard greens. This particular cruciferous vegetable is considered the best in terms of lowering cholesterol levels as it can bind the bile in your digestive track to be eliminated from the body with ease. Aside from this, collard greens are also known for the anti-inflammatory properties as well as detoxification abilities.
- Mustard greens. This cruciferous vegetable is perfect for anyone’s diet as it contains high amounts of fiber that can improve one’s gut health. It can also inhibit the growth of cancer cells because of indoles which are present in mustard greens. Another advantage that you can get from this particular vegetable is that it contains vitamin K which is essential for bone development and brain health.
These are just a few examples of cruciferous vegetables that will go well with anyone’s diet. With these vegetables, you will gain essential nutrients that your body needs in order to become strong and healthy in the long run.