What is athlete’s foot? Athlete’s foot is a fungal infection that usually thrives in damp and warm places. The fungus, known as Tinea pedis, grows on top of the feet, between the toes, between the fingers and on toenails. Scaly patches, white patches and redness are indication of the fungus. Symptoms of athlete’s foot include burning, stinging and itching.
It affects the feet of non-athletes and athletes alike. Although, it is frequently caused by fungal infections, other causes may be indistinguishable without proper testing.
How to Prevent Athlete’s Foot:
Below are some ways to reduce your risks of athletes foot:
1. Dry your feet well when getting out of water, whether at public places or home.
2. Mind your microbiome by consuming a healthy diet, avoiding good bacteria-killing products such as anti-bacterial soaps and supplementing probiotics.
3. Wash your towels if you suspect an infection.
4. Wear foot coverings in wet public places, whenever possible.
Natural Remedy for Athlete’s Foot:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy
Apple cider vinegar has been used eversince due to its medicinal properties. It is known to be especially beneficial against fungus and yeast, and many individuals take it internally to keep candida in balance.
In using apple cider vinegar for athlete’s foot remedy, make sure you have a good and high-quality version.
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
1. Soak your feet for 30 minutes.
2. You can also apply plain apple cider vinegar into the infection using a cotton ball. Apple cider vinegar will sting, so be aware and dilute more if necessary.
2. Baking Soda Remedy
Apply some baking soda on your feet or in your socks before putting your shoes on. This natural remedy for athlete’s foot will not stop the itch, but it will remove excess moisture, thus keeping the fungus from spreading.
3. Lemon for Odor
Rinsing your feet with a lemon juice/ water mixture can help minimize any odor or unpleasant smell that your feet may be emitting as a result of athletes foot.
10 cups of water
1/2 cup lemon juice
1. Soak your feet for at least 10-15 minutes.
2. Do this once or twice a day to minimize odor.