The skin on your knees tends to be thicker compared to the rest of your body. Also, since there are no oil glands in this area, it makes it more dry and prone to becoming dark, when not taken care of. Other factors can also contribute to its dark condition and these include genetics, frequent chafing, dead skin build-up, sun exposure and hormonal imbalance.
There are some things you can do to keep your knees from getting dry. The most important thing is to, apply moisturizer on your knees. Then never skip on the sunscreen and drink the right amount of water to hydrate your system and flush out the toxins .
Aside fro those tips mentioned above, below are some natural remedies you can try to lighten your dark knees.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a great skin lightener that helps keep your skin hydrated and moisturized. Also, it helps maintain even skin tone and promotes the repair of skin cells, due to damaged by sun exposure.
Aloe Vera leaves
1. Extract the gel by opening the aloe vera leaves.
2. Apply to the affected areas.
3. Leave on for at least 20 minutes.
4. Rinse off using warm water.
Repeat for at least 1 to 2 times daily for a few weeks.
Lemon contains both exfoliating and bleaching properties. Applying it to your knees will help lighten your skin tone.
1. Cut the lemon into half.
2. Squeeze each of the half and scrub your knees for 15 minutes.
3. Avoid exposing the applied areas from sunlight.
4. Use petroleum jelly to moisturize your knees.
3. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil contains erucic, linoleic and oleic acid which work to brighten and lighten dark knees.
1. Before going to sleep, massage some mustard oil onto your knees.
2. Leave on for at least 15 minutes.
3. Leave on overnight.
4. Rinse using a mild soap in the morning.
Oatmeal contains bleaching properties which helps in removing rid of dead skin cells.
2 Tablespoon powdered oatmeal
2 teaspoon fresh cream
1. Combine the fresh cream and powdered oatmeal.
2. Mix them well to make a thick paste.
3. Apply it on your knees and leave on for a few minutes.
4. Gently massage your knees for at least 10 minutes, using your fingertips.
5. Remove the scrub, using cold water.
Potato contains natural bleaching agent that can help remove blemishes and whiten your skin.
1 boiled potato
Few drops of lemon
1. Mash the boiled potato into a fine paste.
2. Add a few drops of lemon.
3. Apply it to the affected area.
4. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
5. Scrub thoroughly and then rinse.
You can try these natural ingredients to lighten your skin at least twice a week.