Entering adolescence or the teenage phase is critical to one’s development as it is here where hormonal changes happen. This is also the time where teens experience a growth spurt which is why their fitness should be monitored carefully. Sadly, teens these days are hooked with their gadgets while eating snacks that are greasy and high in calorie content that their overall fitness slowly declines. Weight gain at this point can affect their self-confidence and may push them to try out fad diets even starve themselves just so they can lose weight. This can lead to anorexia or bulimia if not addressed properly.
The good news is that there are ways for teens to lose weight without harming themselves such as those listed below.
- Don’t skip meals. Skipping meals is actually the wrong way to go when it comes to losing weight since it is highly likely that you will be eating a lot the next meal to make up for your hunger. The best way to lose weight is to break down your food intake into 5 smaller meals so your blood sugar levels will remain normal and you won’t be eating more than is necessary.
- Go for mint instead of gum. Teenagers often chew gum but although this habit does help burn calories, it is not really that good for your stomach. Air can get pumped into your stomach making you feel bloated. Skip the gum and go for mint to suck on. Not only is this good for your stomach but you’ll have fresh breath too.
- Avoid fad diets. It’s easy to be tempted to try out fad diets that promise quick results but although they do work, you are sacrificing nutritional value because of poor diet habits. What’s more, the effects of these fad diets don’t usually last long. If you are planning on going on a diet, opt for diets that promote healthy eating that can be easily sustained.
- Drink plenty of water. Another easy weight loss practice that you can do is to drink a lot of water. Water helps make you feel full so you won’t be tempted to go for another serving during meal times. What’s more, water can help you stay hydrated which is important for overall health. Water can also help remove any toxins or impurities from your body.
- Regular exercise. Going on a diet is just one part of losing weight, the other one is exercise. Exercising isn’t just about shedding pounds but it is also about strengthening bones and muscles, increasing flexibility and agility, as well as give your mood a boost. There are plenty of exercise programs to follow so look for one that works best for you.
Avoid late snack eating. If you want to lose weight, you should avoid eating after 8 in the evening. If you want something sweet afterwards you can sip tea with honey or frozen yoghurt. And to help you stop eating after 8, brush your teeth after your meal.