The spine is composed of several ligaments, nerves, and muscles that are connected to different parts of the body which is why it is important that you take care of your spine to maintain overall health. The question, however, is how you are going to do this?
- Choose the right footwear. It doesn’t matter whether you are just planning on walking around the block, going out for a run, or heading to school or office, your choice of footwear is important because it can help with your spine health. Your footwear shouldn’t just fit you comfortably but should also be flexible and provide ample support to your weight. This helps with your spine’s alignment which can prevent injuries.
- Sit up straight. The discs that are located in your lower back experience 3 times the pressure compared to when you are standing. This is one of the reasons why you feel discomfort or sometimes pain in your lower back as well as your legs when you sit down for long periods. The best way to relieve the pain and to help you keep your spine aligned is by standing and walking every 20 to 30 minutes or using a stand-up desk at work.
- Rest your spine. The only time that your spine gets to rest after a long day working is when you are asleep. This is the time when your spine finally gets to relax as well as rejuvenate itself for tomorrow. It is important, therefore, that you let your spine get the care it deserves by using the right mattress and pillow for support. There is no one correct choice when it comes to mattresses and pillows because it depends mostly on your preferences.
- Get a massage. Getting a massage not only eases the tension on your muscles and spine but also improves your flexibility and boost blood flow as well. The better the blood flowing in your body the better your body function will be. However, not everyone can get a massage on a regular basis so if you can’t get a massage from a professional, you can opt for a massage chair which can help ease the tension in your muscles.
- Work on your ab and back muscles. Another way to strengthen your spine is through proper exercise. Look for exercises that focus on your lower back and core muscles in order to help your spine with its job of supporting the rest of your body. Ask a professional fitness trainer on what types of exercises are ideal for your lower back as well as abs and how to execute them.
These are just a few tips on how you can help strengthen your spine to avoid pain and discomfort especially when you’ve been sitting for several hours. It is important that you show care regarding your spine because it plays a valuable part in your overall fitness and flexibility. The tips mentioned above can help keep your spine aligned and strong even as you grow older.