Your body needs various vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients in order for it to be healthy, strong, and able to fight back various diseases. Unfortunately, most people don’t meet the recommended dietary amount of nutrients that their body needs per day hence they take multivitamins to fill the gap. You don’t really have to rely on multivitamins alone to get your much needed nutrients because there are certain types of food that contain plenty of vitamins and minerals that your body needs. All that you have to do is to make the switch or add these foods to your meal and voila! You’ll get those important nutrients without taking any pills.
- Seaweed. Iodine deficiency affects a lot of people all over the world. An adult that has low iodine levels is at high risk of suffering from thyroid problems. A pregnant woman with low levels of iodine can cause abnormalities in the unborn child. One of the best ways of increasing iodine is by eating seaweed such as nori, kelp, and wakame, just to name a few. Take note, however, that there are some types of seaweed that should not be consumed regularly as they can exceed the safe amount of iodine intake.
- Kale. This is possibly one of the most nutrient dense food available and it contains high amounts of vitamin K1 which is important for blood clotting as well as bone health. Aside from vitamin K1, kale is also known to contain other nutrients such as manganese, potassium, fiber, vitamin B6, and iron. Just eating a single serving of this vegetable can help you meet the recommended daily intake for each of these nutrients.
- Liver. One of the most important parts in any animal is its liver because it contains high amounts of vitamin A, folate, vitamin B12, iron, and copper. The vitamin B12 compound in liver is one of the most important because a lot of people are seriously lacking this nutrient in their system. Why is vitamin B12 necessary? Well, it plays an essential role in brain, nervous system, as well as cell health. You should eat liver twice a week only as consuming liver regularly can increase the nutrient levels beyond the safe amount.
- Sardines. Most people associate sardines with canned fish and although they have some nutritional value, it doesn’t come close to what you can get from fresh sardines. Adding sardines to your diet can be a huge advantage especially since it contains omega-3 fatty acids that help keep your heart healthy and strong. Not only that but sardines are found to contain different types of nutrients such as calcium and selenium which are important to the body.
- Yellow Bell Peppers. If you’re lacking vitamin C, then you might want to add yellow bell peppers to your diet. The water-soluble vitamin C is an essential compound for the body because it prevents various health issues such as scurvy which is actually a bit rare nowadays. If your vitamin C levels are normal, your immune function will be in its best condition. Yellow bell peppers are found to contain high amounts of vitamin C compared to oranges.