Asthma is one type of respiratory problem where the bronchial passages become inflamed and blocked up by mucus causing restriction in one’s breathing. Among the symptoms of asthma attack include shortness of breath, wheezing, as well as coughing. There are many factors that can trigger asthma attacks such as pollen, exercise, and even stress. The good news is that there are certain essential oils that can help provide relief when your asthma attacks and these are:
- Tea Tree Oil. This particular essential oil is a known expectorant which means that it can help get rid of the mucus that clog your bronchial passages. To treat asthma attacks, you will need to dip a clean cloth in warm water then wring it to remove any excess water. Add a few drops of tea tree oil and breathe it in through the cloth. Repeat the process once the cloth becomes cool.
- Peppermint. Here’s another essential oil that can provide relief for those with asthma. Peppermint is known for its antihistamine and decongestant properties which mean that if your asthma is often triggered by allergies, this will stop histamine from being released in your body to prevent asthma attacks. To use this essential oil, you will need to combine it with 20 drops of carrier oil like jojoba, almond, or olive, a drop of lemon, plus 8 drops of lavender. Just rub or massage the mixture onto your chest to experience relief.
- Oregano Oil. Oregano oil is also a good choice when it comes to relieving asthma as it has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. Those with asthma who inhale oregano oil can immediately feel relief. Another plus to using oregano oil is that it prevents the respiratory tract from being infected. One way to use this essential oil is to mix 25 drops of this oil with 5 ounces of water in a spritzer bottle. You can also mix a few drops with water in a diffuser if you don’t have any spritzer bottle.
- Thyme Oil. This essential oil is suitable for those with asthma problems as thyme oil contains antibacterial, expectorant, and antiseptic properties. It can help strengthen your immune and respiratory system so infection will be highly likely to happen. You can combine this essential oil with bergamot oil to create a mixture that you can rub on your chest for asthma relief. You can also add a few drops of this oil on hot water and inhale the steam.
- Clove Oil. Since the air passages of an asthmatic gets clogged by mucus and inflamed lining, you will need to use clove oil as it has anti spasmodic, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties which can prevent constriction of the passageway so you can breathe easier. You only need to diffuse this oil in a diffuser for 20 minutes to feel relief. You can also make a chest rub with this essential oil but you will need to dilute it in water or carrier oil to prevent skin irritation.